The Federation's objectives are to:
- Promote to new and existing member schools via:
- The instruction of people with vision disabilities in the use of Guide Dogs;
- The concept of breeding, development, care and training of dogs as safe and efficient guides for people with vision disabilities.
- Set and promote standards for:
- Breeding and selection of Guide Dogs
- Selection and education of staff
- Instruction of people with vision disabilities in the use of Guide Dogs
- Advise all those who express interest in establishing a Guide Dog organisation.
- Accredit Guide Dog organisations which achieve IGDF standards and continue to monitor their eligibility.
- Advance the exchange of knowledge and understanding between organisations.
- Raise awareness of the benefits of Guide Dog mobility with the relevant statutory agencies and public and private organisations to achieve understanding and financial support of its work.
- Encourage Guide Dog organisations to support access (quarantine, public places, transport) for Guide Dog organisation graduates.
- Collaborate with other relevant organisations of and for people with vision disabilities.